Here we've collated together all of your frequently asked questions, that should help you when it comes to build your own Conservatory.
Why are your DIY Conservatories such good value for money?
- There are a variety of reasons. Firstly we scoured the world to find sources of modern materials that are the least expensive. Then we designed the most popular size of conservatory with modular panels and roofs, and by keeping the options to a minimum means economies of scale keeps costs down. Lastly we reduce wastage costs by manufacturing in volume batches.
Is the Conservatory product poorer quality than other similar in the market place?
- Quite the reverse. We designed our conservatories to the very highest standards and only use top quality materials. To prove this we have had them tested to withstand the worst of UK weather and they passed with flying colours! They are, of course, also backed up with compliance to the appropriate British Standard.
Can the sizes shown be modified a bit?
- Of course, all the DIY Conservatories can be whatever size you wish them to be. Please call us to find out more prices.
Do I have to apply for planning permission for my conservatory?
- All DIY Conservatories should not need planning permission – except in certain listed areas or if your property has been extended previously by more than 20% of the initial floor area. We have provided more information under Planning, but it is complicated and we do advise you to check with your local authority if you have any doubts.
Are the DIY Conservatories really a "Do It Yourself" product?
- Yes, a competent average DIYer with help from a competent neighbour or friend should be able to assemble a building following the instructions over a weekend. We are able to offer installation service, please contact us so that we can arrange a quote.
What would it cost me to employ a builder to build a base and erect the Conservatory?
- This depends on the extent of work that is required due to the site conditions, for example the depth of foundations needed. However, we have heard costs for the base and installation quoted between £1,500 and £2,500. Labour can be expensive, which is why we have responded to a demand for an easy to erect DIY product.
Is it safety glass in all the panels and doors on the Conservatory?
- Yes, all our double glazed units are manufactured from toughened glass and carry the appropriate marking.
Can I have glass in the Conservatory roof?
- We can supply glass roofs in all our bespoke Conservatories.
Does it matter if my Conservatory base is an inch or two out?
- Yes, it certainly could matter. A correctly built base is most essential if the finished building is to be built perfectly. Only normal brickwork building tolerances should be allowed.
Will my Conservatory be totally burglar proof?
- No building can be guaranteed to be burglar proof despite the precautions that we have taken in the design. Each sash is fitted with a multipoint locking system, as is the French door. The glass is held in place with internal beads. All steps have been taken to dissuade the would-be intruder.
What dimensions do you use?
- Our dimensions are always shown as
- WIDTH the dimension across the house.
- PROJECTION the depth into the garden.
Where are the measurements taken from?
- The measurements are from the inside of the outside wall.